I've decided it's time to renter the blogging world after a two-month hiatus. Life with two is a huge change as everyone warned us it would be, and I'll admit that it has taken us this long to adjust. Elijah is now very much here and with us and we are now settling into what our new routine looks like. But anyone who reads this blog knows that whenever I return after a blogging hibernation, I have to go backward a bit to keep things in order, so bear with me as I do that now...
The 2-3 weeks before Elijah arrived, Drew and I worked our butts off to get our home ready for adding another person to our household. With my due date hitting right after the holidays, we'd known that's just how it was going to have to happen. Sydney's room remained the baby room for Elijah, and she was bumped next door to what's been until now my craft room with all my scrapbooking stuff and extra junk accumulated through the years. Drew and I spent an entire weekend shifting everything around, reorganizing other areas of the house to fit the overflow, and assembling new furniture to create a new 'big girl room' for Sydney. Whew. At eight and a half months pregnant, that activity felt to my body the equivalent of running a 10K. But it was worth it: check out the room's before and after shots here.
Sydney chillin' in the open space in between old room and newAhhh: big girl room at last.
This pregnancy felt overall harder physically to me...guess that's what happens when you're constantly giving in to a 2-year-old's demands for "up on mama." This is one of the last pregnant shots taken of me - the week before Elijah came. Gives you a good idea of how big I was at the end.
And if you want a disturbing and absurd comparison ... here's Sydney doing her best to imitate "big mama" with her mini basketball under her dress. Does she look the grimacing part of overdue or what? Oh, heaven help us.
While pregnancy tends to wreak havoc on your emotional state anyway, I think toward the end I was particularly drained over saying goodbye to my 'only child' time with Sydney. Drew can attest to several instances that I've teared up just watching her and realizing that never again would it just be me and my girl. She's been the only one I know how to parent! She's filled the whole lens of what I view as my child; the fact that that's changing, well, I just can't get my head around it yet. I know I'll always look back on these last couple years as some of the most precious of my life.
The night before Elijah was born
No comments:
Post a Comment